Expensive SaaStr: I offered my firm 5 years in the past and have constructed a web value of ~$10 million, however in comparison with my associates I really feel like a loser and nonetheless maintain making an attempt laborious at startups that stress me out and make me depressing. What ought to I do?
It’s loopy, however … you’re not alone. And typically it virtually by no means ends.
- Dave Duffield made $10 billion when Oracle took over Peoplesoft … however he nonetheless needed to go and co-found Workday.
- David Sacks made tens of tens of millions at PayPal however needed to do extra. So he based Yammer and offered it for $1B+ money. And he made tens of millions as an angel investor. However he nonetheless wished to go greater. Now, he now manages $3 Billion+ at Craft Ventures.
- Elon Musk made 9 figures and nonetheless plowed all of it into Tesla, SpaceX, and SolarCity.
And people are among the many High 100 Entrepreneurs of All Time.
Now they aren’t you, and all of us do it for various causes. For some, it truly is about persevering with on the journey and “constructing issues”.
However usually below that … there’s nonetheless a chip. Even when it’s not on the shoulder. To do one thing even greater. Even higher. Much more enduring. To be on the dinner desk when the President involves city to fulfill with “tech CEOs”. No matter it’s.
I’ve nonetheless acquired it myself, though time has diluted it a bit. Builders gotta construct.
And never everybody has this drive. There are many “one and performed” founders. Greater than you’d assume. Simply completely satisfied to have had an actual win and even two. That ought to be sufficient. However for lots of us … it one way or the other isn’t.
Okay so what do you do? I feel you’ve gotten 3 choices:
1. Add worth again. A few of the most extremely regarded entrepreneurs will not be essentially the wealthiest. They’ve added worth again as angels, as connectors, as thought leaders. Being related helps lots.
2. Transfer. Significantly, transfer outdoors of Silicon Valley. For a lot of, it really works wonders. Get out of right here and it’ll really feel so, so, so totally different. The ennui of Silicon Valley doesn’t actually exist a lot as you allow tech facilities. Price not less than making an attempt.
3. Do it Once more. You already know lots. In case you had one good exit, you might not have one other in you. However you do know the best way to construct a profitable start-up and go greater, get extra profitable, extra every little thing. However … how badly would you like it this time?
A associated submit right here: