It seems a well-crafted gross sales and well-designed comp plan does retain gross sales reps pretty effectively.
Why? Nicely, if the comp plan is effectively put collectively, then:
- If a gross sales rep leaves, they form of should begin throughout once more incomes their bonus, except they get a draw. And even a draw isn’t good. A typical AE comp plan is commonly 50/50 base/bonus. If the AE is already making 100%+ of their OTE, or much more as a result of they’re a prime AE (say 150% of their OTE) … they actually should nearly begin from scratch once they go someplace new. Particularly if gross sales cycles are longer.
- High gross sales reps ought to make numerous cash. Simply the highest ones. So in the event that they depart, it’s too dangerous to attempt to earn that quantity someplace new. Once more, if you’re making effectively above 100% OTE at a very good startup, it’s simply dangerous to suppose you’ll certainly do this once more at some subsequent startup you barely know.
- High gross sales reps have a tendency to construct up a robust pipeline of offers that may shut over time. This destresses their life considerably as they’ve numerous visibility into offers that may shut — and private and monetary success. High reps don’t wish to depart that pipeline behind. It’s simply numerous work to construct it up once more. And it once more introduces danger.
So what’s key right here?
- First, AEs will nonetheless depart a nasty boss. So core to all that is having a VP of Gross sales that AEs like to work for. A associated put up right here: What Makes a Nice VP of Gross sales and Methods to Rent One | SaaStr
- Second, no caps on comp. If the AEs make, say, 10% bonus on every deal, don’t cap it. That manner in the event that they actually shut loads, they make a ton. Extra right here: A Framework For Your First SaaS Gross sales Comp Plan | SaaStr
- Third, make certain your prime 1 or 2 AEs actually do effectively — so everybody else can see it. That builds confidence and momentum. Extra on that right here: Your #1 Gross sales Rep Ought to Be Driving a Tesla Plaid Or Shopping for a New Dwelling By Month 12. (And Not Shopping for a Panerai Watch.) | SaaStr
- Fourth, make certain most reps hit plan. This takes work, but when most reps aren’t hitting plan, people gained’t keep. Key to that is getting the crew to commit that every new rep you rent is no less than nearly as good as the typical rep, and ideally, higher. After which within the early days, don’t set quotas so excessive people can’t meet them.
- Fifth, promote as many as you’ll be able to. Most prime AEs truly don’t wish to go into administration. However some do. You’ll be able to’t promote all of them. However err on the aspect of selling extra of them. A tough rule is attempt to fill 50% of your supervisor and director slots out of your current crew. A bit extra right here: 11 Issues That Set The Greatest Gross sales Groups Aside From The Relaxation | SaaStr
Do the above proper, and also you gained’t see your prime reps depart — aside from for promotions. As a result of there gained’t be wherever higher to go.
In actual fact, make Zero Voluntary Attrition an express purpose in your gross sales crew. Inform everybody that’s the purpose.
(observe: an up to date SaaStr Basic put up)
Revealed on March 28, 2023