Pricey SaaStr: Can nice SaaS salespeople seamlessly change between industries?
No. They will’t, sadly.
Effectively, the perfect can — up to a degree. And even there they’ve limits.
A couple of learnings through the years:
- Solely the perfect reps can promote one thing extra advanced or tougher to grasp than the prior merchandise they’ve offered. They simply are inclined to soften once they must promote a way more difficult product.
- Solely the perfect reps which have offered gross sales or advertising instruments, that are similar to the instruments they use on daily basis already, can promote vertical saas or developer instruments. They suppose they’ll hack it, however they’ll’t. They by no means be taught the trade or the customer. Gross sales reps principally know learn how to promote gross sales and advertising instruments. They use them on daily basis, in any case. Be cautious hiring from these corporations when you don’t promote one thing fairly comparable.
- Solely the perfect and most pushed reps which have offered solely with a model behind them can promote properly with out one. A associated level. Gross sales is all the time exhausting, but it surely’s simply very totally different at a high model. The prospects are available principally figuring out you, and what they need. It’s radically totally different at an upstart with out a model. Rather more totally different than most reps anticipate.
And some different limiters:
- Most enterprise reps actually wrestle to promote SMB instruments, and vice-versa. It’s simply such a distinct cadence and course of.
- Most reps which have solely finished in-bound actually wrestle to do any actual outbound themselves. The “full stack” rep isn’t a fantasy, but it surely’s near a fantasy.
No matter you do, be sure that if somebody comes from even a barely simpler gross sales atmosphere, that they actually can do it at your startup. Don’t get blinded by the place they labored, or how clean their “gross sales speak” appears to be.
You’d suppose a terrific SaaS rep may promote every other SaaS product. In idea, “Promote Me This Pen” ought to work in SaaS to shortly uncover if somebody can promote your product, and it does work, up to a degree. However solely up to a degree.
Even the perfect reps wrestle to promote into tougher areas, into areas which might be extra difficult, and into domains they don’t actually intuitively perceive.
They might do it — in the event that they actually, actually invested the time and vitality to do one thing tougher than final time. However often, they don’t. And the less-than-great? They will’t do it in any respect.
— SaaStr (@saastr) July 2, 2023
(promote something picture from right here)